Saturday, March 5, 2011

i love where i live

and I must say, it's a new thing for me.

After spending 15 monotonous years in the armpit of California, my parents made the huge mistake of sending me to Europe without them. This, of course, ruined me because before that I never really saw how armpitty the armpit I was living in was. So I came back completely ruined and impassioned and unblinded. So, yeah, you can't blame me for thinking moving to Europe a few years ago was the key to my happiness.

I mean, it wasn't bad living there. I love Antwerp, I really do. I love Belgium. It's a good thing, too because I'm sentenced to a lifetime of having to be there on a regular basis. This is a good thing. But I've got to say that while I was living there I just wasn't vibing on it. I wasn't tuned in to the Belgian channel of life. I was tuned into Radio Minerva, but that's another story.

But living here in Portland, it's like something has clicked. I feel good, invigorated, inspired. I feel like ME. And it isn't just the forest and the ferns and the moss and the fog. It isn't just the incredibly clean air I'm breathing up here on my mountain. It's the good local, organic food. It's how amazing friendly everyone is. It's how easy it is to find all of the hard-to-find things are. My music is better, my writing is better. The quality of my life is just...better.

I love it here. It feels so good to love where I live. Finally.

No comments: