Wednesday, September 1, 2010

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay

I'm pretty sure that non-YA readers, which are probably any and all people who happen to read my blog, won't really "get" this post. Luckily, almost all my friends are book lovers. People who understand how important good books are. Books that teach you important lessons or carry you into situations you'd never dream of experiencing for reals. I'm air quotes-ing for reals.

Yesterday I finished Suzanne Collins' book, Mockingjay, which is the third and final book in The Hunger Games series. I finished it. Then I stared, shell-shocked, at the wall for a couple of hours trying to let it soak in.

This book is so, so...VITAL. It should be read by everybody. But I'm so glad it's a YA book - because it really is the young people - people who will lead tomorrow - whom this message is so important for. Because things like the Hunger Games are so incredibly possible! That's what makes the books so incredibly scary: how easily a society like that could bloom from our own.

Anyway, for those of you who can't stomach reading, (shame on you!) there will be a film. From what I've read, the script is written and next they'll be casting and hunting for a director. I don't know if this film will be based on the first book, or a hap-hazard combination of all three. I'm hoping for the first.

For the rest of you, WHY HAVEN'T YOU READ THESE BOOKS YET?
They will change your life. And they might give you post-traumatic-stress-disorder, too.

No comments: