Friday, July 23, 2010

routine (or lack thereof)

It's kinda hard to believe I've been back in California for nearly a month. That isn't to say the time hasn't crept by just a bit. I'm hanging in between about five worlds and that has a tendency to make things sneak by so slowly. They might go by at a snail's pace, but I'm totally oblivious to most of them.
That might have to do with the fact that I have travelled more in the last few weeks than I have in the last few years combined. See, I'm a creature of habit...to a fault. I Love the bits and pieces of life that unfold their mysteries within the routine. I love my coffee in the morning (I love my coffee all day!). I love folding laundry on my bed in the afternoon and listening to music while I cook dinner at night. I love working on my manuscript. I love playing my ukulele and writing songs that I actually have time to record.
And I hate...I HATE forgoing my beautiful routine. It absolutely exhausts me.
That said, it's been great having these moments with my mother and sister seeing old things with my new eyes - eyes that couldn't recall in detail just how mighty the Giant Sequoias are or how insanely crowded Disneyland is in the summertime or how awesome our coastal tide pools are. I've even had the pleasure of devouring four fantastic novels in the last couple of weeks. Maggie Stiefvater's 'Shiver' has been the book of my summer, maybe my life. Now I'm gearing up for travelling up north - scoping out our new life in Oregon, seeing Washington and Canada.
Then I'm looking forward to rediscovering my gorgeous, delicious routine!

No comments: