Wednesday, May 5, 2010

a super easy, amazing curry

This is a callie-ized version of a curry recipe from Sunset magazine. It's completely vegan, though I did make some shrimp on the side for the family to enjoy. Roel and I had leftovers for lunch today and it was even better. Plus, it takes less than 30 minutes to make.

with a bit of oil in a large saucepan, combine:
one onion, chopped
a pound of baby carrots cut in half length-wise
1 cup of frozen peas
2 TBSP madras curry powder
1 can (14oz.) coconut milk
salt to taste ( I do about 1 tsp.)

(you'll need cilantro for sprinkling)

Simmer until carrots are soft and serve over some good quality basmati rice. Sprinkle chopped cilantro over the top. Also, I cannot stress enough how important good madras curry powder is. That nasty stuff you buy in the regular grocery store from schillings or whatever is no good. Real madras curry has the best, most amazing flavor. Also, madras curry does have a bit of spice, so if you (or your kiddos) can't handle the heat, have a little cucumber raita to cool your mouth off between bites. I tell my kids that spicy foods help your body to release endorphins which make you feel goooood. We love to feel good.

1 comment:

yaffle said...

I want to feel good! gonna make this recipe sometime, gonna feel good.