Monday, November 9, 2009

Homeopathy

I wanted to share my experience with my new Homeopathic Physician here in Belgium; it was such an amazing experience.

First off, a little background.  Seven years ago, after I gave birth to my second son, Simon, I had an onset of several really terrible symptoms.  It took 4 years of going from doctor to doctor only to hear that it was my thyroid, and they promptly put me on medication.  The problem is, my symptoms never got better.  The constant stomach aches, eczema etc. etc. continued despite my devotion to my thyroid meds.

I've always preferred natural medicine to traditional chemical band-aids, though I've never found the right "fit" with a physician whom I trusted until recently when I found a homeopathic practice in nearby Deurne: 

http://www.homeopathy-antwerpen.be/praktijkhuis/index.htm

 I was happy to find that there was a female physician there (I don't really feel comfortable with male doctors) who was happy to speak English with me since I find it a bit uncomfortable to try and discuss my health woes in Flemish.  It took me two months to get in to see her, but it was well worth the wait.

She spent two hours with me, really getting to the emotional root of my physical issues.  She analyzed my body language as well as my words, regularly asking me what this word or that word meant to me, and to try and go deeper, using different adjectives to explain my thoughts and feelings.  She wanted to know about my Mother's pregnancy with me, my childhood, my losses and my joys and she really listened to me.

At one point she said to me, "this is really intense and I can feel it; is that ok with you?"  Nobody has ever asked permission to experience my hurt before; it was so refreshing.

At the end of it all, she prescribed me a remedy based on the tobacco plant; here is some interesting reading material about the use of tobacco in homeopathy: 

http://abchomeopathy.com/r.php/Tab

She explained to me that over the course of the next month, the remedy will work in waves and that it should have had its full effect by the end of the month at which point I will return to see her to evaluate my condition and to progress with my healing.  

Also...she took me off all dairy and alcohol.  The dairy part isn't so bad, but the alcohol might be a bit tough since I really enjoy my glass of wine while I cook.  For my health, though, I'm happily willing to give up my vices, and she reassured me that there will me more foods to give up in the future.  I will keep you updated on my progression.  Im really looking forward to vibrant emotional and physical health, Gawd knows I haven't experienced that in ages...

3 comments:

yaffle said...

Hurray for homeopathy! Looking at some of the symptoms this tobacco plant remedy can be used for... "Sensation of excessive wretchedness" that describes me perfectly. I'm getting on this remedy!

Glad you found a nice doctor, can be tough to find the right one.

our national space said...

I hope you feel better soon :-)

Somebodyiusedtoknow said...

How interesting! I'm going to go and read that article about tobacco...

love and healthy energy in your direction ♥