Tuesday, September 1, 2009

The Machine

I'm posting this mostly to show my friend Ruthie, who is an actual seamstress.

I've been complaining that I needed a sewing machine ever since I left my machine in the care of a friend back home in California.  I'm no seamstress, but I always need to hem Jonas's pants and do simple mending (which is no fun by hand and takes forever!).

Yesterday I was walking through the kringwinkel (the city of Antwerp's version of Opnieuw en co.) and I found this gem.  Yeah, ok, so it's kind of an antique, but the think is STURDY!  It weighs about a hundred pounds (= hard to carry home) and makes really nice stitches.  When this machine was built, things were made to last.

Don't expect anything too creative out of me, but I'm still really excited about my machine which only cost me 40 euros.  Now I just need to try and remember how to use the thing...;-)

5 comments:

yaffle said...

good sewing to you.

our national space said...

with that machine, you can turn your kitchen into a sweat shop! git those varmits and that hubby of yours to work - jk :-) it looks fun!!

Ruthie said...

what a beauty!!! Here are a few things I love about you: 1. you insist on beauty in everything, even utilitarian items. and i have to say that having a machine that gorgeous would make me enjoy the whole sewing experience that much more each and every time I sewed, so... good move! 2. you called me a seamstress, which is an exaggeration totally motivated by your love for me (I'm very flattered), and 3. I just received the RUTH MADE labels you procured for Ethan and I am super amazed and stoked, and my fingers now itch to make something pronto!

You're so good. Thank you!!

Somebodyiusedtoknow said...

beautiful machine!!

xo

Andrew said...

I have some socks that need mending...