Monday, March 23, 2009

2001: A Space Odyssey


I have to be honest; i don't get it.  I don't really think you're supposed to get it, though.  The problem is, I just can't let it die, and something in me really wants to find some meaning in it for myself.  

The thing is, this film is seriously amazing.  srsly.  The first part of the film 'the dawn of man' sort of disturbs me, but mostly just because I hate monkeys.  Ok, that was a bit strong, i "dislike" monkeys a great deal.  To be honest, they freak me out.  That part when the man-ape is bashing that skeleton around is disturbing, though I do have brains enough to understand that the point of this sequence is to portray 1) tools, and 2) the monolith.

Mankind improved upon his little crappy ape-man bone-tool and moved on to bigger and better things like the microwave oven (aka the cancer machine), the camera (aka soul-stealer) and computers (aka...oh gawd).  Ummm...am I the only one who's had nightmares about the HAL 9000?

So the story goes that the HAL 9000 takes Dave (who is quite a looker!) and that one guy 'I can't remember his name', and those other guys who are in a Matthias-like hibernation in their creepy pods to Jupiter to explore the birth-place of the monolith that showed up on earth during the dawn of man, and was found buried on the moon 4 million years.  Of course only HAL the satanic computer knows this, and as soon as he begins to show his amiss-ness, Dave and what's his face make plans to unplug him.  Well, OBVIOUSLY the darned computer can read lips and goes on to kill what's his face and the pod hibernators.  He tries to kill Dave, but the dimple in his chin proves invincible and he unplugs HAL.

Next thing you know, there's Dave in his mini-pod flying toward Jupiter 'and the infinite' and getting sucked into the rainbow/tron worm whole.  Poor guy, those stills of his face as he's flying through are both unflattering and really scary!  Then BAM, he's in some infinite space villa walking around, then watching himself at a desk, then watching himself in a bed, then watching himself turn into, what?  a Fetus?  I'm sorry, but you can't tell me there's no meaning here.  It's a FETUS!  It must represent the rebirth of something, but what?

A new earth?  is Dr. Dave and Stanley Kubrick in cahoots with Eckhart Tolle and Oprah?  

There's been so much speculation on the hidden meanings of this film, I just don't even know where to begin.  All I know is that I don't know all of the things that I really want to know...which annoys me.  

The last few nights, I've seen some amazing films on the TCM or TMC channel or whatever it's called.  on Friday night it was 'Coma' and 'Westworld' - two AMAZING movies.  last night it was Space odyssey, and tonight it's 'Soylent Green'.  They, like 2001, are cautionary tales that will caution us all individually about something.  What you take away from these cautionary tales is personal...but for me, as long as it makes you think and there's robots involved, I'm a happy girl.

4 comments:

our national space said...

Excellent blog. You've got it all, don't you? :-) looks, pipes & brains! You're one of my favorite Internet celebrities (sigh)

yaffle said...

2001 is srsly amazing. I know someone who always tries to convince me that the sequel - 2010 is a better film "because it explains everything", this is just so wrong I can barely type through my anger just thinking about it. oh, and westword, and soylent green!!! I love these old sci fi movies, I'm always watching them on TCM, hey wait - you watch a lot of cartoons on boomerang too don't you? stop stealing my viewing habits! have you seen the andromeda strain? another good old sci fi movie.

now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to gaze at matthias in his hibernation pod for a few hours, do join me.

billilovesmargot said...

i seriously have no clue what the end is about either. worm hole? speed of light? the build up to which you see yourself get older until you reach it and then being able to see your self get younger at that speed? i have no idea... then there's that big "mall directory" looking thing... what's that about? is he in a mall? is space a mall of planets?

... don't you miss malls? me too. *sips coffee.

Andrew said...

I think the point of 2001 is that you can make one of the most amazing movies of all time and have it make very little sense. It's based on a book though, maybe you should read it and decipher it for us? Or maybe, 2001 is people...