Wednesday, February 4, 2009

My favorite belgian brew (so far)

So...here's my cradling a bottle of my  new favorite beer.  I guess that living here, it's really impossible to escape beer snobbery; I'm ok with that!  Grimbergen is great!  I first had it right before Christmas when I was out with Megan.  From the first sip it was really the yummiest beer I've ever had.

I remember back several years having my first De Koninck; I really thought it was the best beer ever.  Then, a few years later we were here visiting and the De Koninck tasted different..tons sweeter, almost cotton candy-ish.  This put me off of the DK, and I've been looking for a replacement ever since.  

To be fair, I do (like most girls here, I'm told) like the Hoegarden; it has a yummy herby taste that I like.  I also like Leffe...but they just don't do it for me like the Grimbergen.  The blonde has a really apple-y, refreshing thing happening, and the dubbel is warm and tasty and feels like a warm fire on a cold night in your belly.  

I don't know much about beer, in general.  I can't tell you about how "full-bodied" it is, or how good of a "head" it has.  I can tell you what I like and why...and I like this beer.  Go out and try to find it and throw a few back!

5 comments:

yaffle said...

I'm not much of a beer drinker, the local brew around these parts would be cider, but that's really only for youths and farmers, if you ever see a rosey-cheeked farm boy steer well clear. I shall keep a lookout for this grimbergen.

yaffle said...

have you noticed how the captcha codes always sound like belgium beers too

Andrew said...

In reference to yaffle, I could go for a bottle of "slamorpl." I like hoegaarden because it sounds like a garden of hos. In Galway, Ireland, the local beer is the Galway Hooker (after the type of boat) and one bar had it right next to Hoegaarden and we all teeheed. I like my beers like I like my oompaloompas: stout.

zzzzzzane said...

they don't have a wide selection of imported beers here. although in some places Corona is cheaper than Taiwan Beer?!!
will look out for grimbergen.

billilovesmargot said...

i will definitely try and find it now!