Monday, February 2, 2009

antwerp on a budget

This morning I woke up to snow...which felt really nice.  After a while of staring out the window at the snow coming down I began to feel antsy and needed to get out.  However, I'll be the first to admit that I'm scared of the outside world. After a little contemplation (and a lot of persuasion by Roel who I think wanted me out of the house;-) I put my hat and sturdy boots on and got out.  I slipped and slided my way to the tram and made my 15 minute ride into the center.  While I rode I texted my friend Sule who at that hour was sitting in Flemish school where I should have been but dropped out (did i mention that?)  Yeah, I dropped out of language class.  Why?  Well, simply because a) I'm sick of sitting in class, and b) I'm at the point where I just need to speak speak speak....and learn by speaking.

So anyway, I got off the tram and went to the fnac.  I found a book by Paolo Coelho and bought it.  It cost 7.95...a bargain, really.  

All of a sudden my phone rang and it was dear Sule who had just gotten out of class.  (btw, Sule is a rad girl form Turkey).  We met and walked to de Muze - the best cafe in Antwerp in my opinion - and had a cup of coffee while she lectured me on why I shouldn't have dropped out of class.  The great thing about talking with Sule is that she can't speak English and I obviously can't speak Turkish, so we're forced to speak Flemish.  Our conversations are always an adventure...and probably hilarious if you had happened to be an innocent bystander overhearing us in the cafe.  After coffee, which was free because she paid, we trudged through the slush to my favorite shop, o-zone, where they sell these awesome hippie, plant dyed clothes.  We sloshed around the cathedral and yelled 'bonjourno' back at those annoying italian restaurant dudes.  Then we went to a Turkish restaurant and ate some yummy stuff which only cost a few euros.

We trammed back to Mortsel and I walked home.  By this time my boots were soaked through and I was a gross mess...but I feel good and I'm so glad I got out of the house today.  It felt good to be brave, and independent. It felt really good to exercise my Flemish.  It felt really good to be out and about and spend less than 10 euros eating, drinking and book-buying.

I guess now I've got to go get a job...any ideas?


4 comments:

yaffle said...

I woke up to snow too, my house is cold, I can see my breath, I wish I had a wood fire rather than these rubbish electric heaters. what job can we get you, hmm... you could teach californian at the language school!

Andrew said...

It sleeted a bit last night and I almost fell walking up the path, but no snow really, but what's melting. I actually am "employed" helping some people learn english, and three of them are turkish! I'm with yaffle, teach your native tongue!

zzzzzzane said...

i think it's awesome that you are speaking flemish to a turkish girl!

yes. second lover is a good song :D!
yay...i'm glad i introduced you to something as well.

billilovesmargot said...

i want to go to that cafe.