Tuesday, January 13, 2009

i am so luxurious...

well...not really, but I am trying to be.  Lets face it, I don't take great care of myself like I used to.  I used to get massages and go to yoga class; there was even a time that I got weekly ear candling but thats another story.  The thing is, this cold climate is wrecking my skin...and then there's the whole thyroid thing.  There are a lot of things I should be doing to doing to keep myself really healthy, but lately I haven't been doing anything.  But then Roel and I heard that the swimming pool down the street from us has turkish steam baths.  It just seemed like the perfect thing to try out, I mean it's inexpensive, it involves steam and it's a great way to take care of yourself (especially in the winter months) So we got on our bikes and went over there, paid our two euros and weaved our way through the pools and past a water aerobics class (they really should pick better music for those classes btw) and into our little two person steam bath cabin.  The thing was supposed to be a lovely steam bath infused with eucalyptus oil...well, it only really smelled like chlorine.  Despite the reeky chlorine smell, though, the thing was awesome.  we just sat in there in the warm, moist yummy air and sweated our brains out.  We also got a fabulous view of the water-aerobics class through the glass door (I think the glass is there to ensure that the steam room isn't getting too steamy *cough*) It really was soothing...until out of nowhere water started needling through the ceiling.  They really should warn you about the spontaneous shower at the end, and boy am I glad I was looking down.

After the steam bath we decided to try out the whirlpools which are made for one or two people and supposedly infused with essential oils, though I seriously doubt the thing was infused with anything but chlorine.  We squeezed our super-tall selves into one together as the water began to pour in.  Lets just say that those things should really only be for one person because the bubbling effect from the jets were spouting like volcanos between our oragamied bodies.  Every time I tried leaning my head back to relax, water exploded into my face which sort of stole the relaxing effect.

All steamed up and warm, we rode our bikes back home though the freezing rain.  I made some beans with cauliflower, potatoes and carrots in tortillas for lunch and threw on some Crystal Castles (C.C. isn't the best post-pampering music, but i've been pheening for them all day).  Now my belly is full and I feel like I've done something good for myself.  I think Roel and I are going to make it a Tuesday thing.  It feels good to be good to myself.  Tuesdays are turning out to be a rad day it seems.


4 comments:

yaffle said...

would you two stop scandalising these poor belgians.

tuesdays rule!

Andrew said...

You forgot that you start your day off with a new episode of colorswithsound on tuesdays! Totally gnarly day, I'm going to have to spice up my tuesdays now.

Somebodyiusedtoknow said...

your day with roel sounded marvelous! good for you ♥

i got a spa facial the other day (a xmas gift) and it felt totally good to be pampered in that way. I too was reminded that I should do more relaxing/healing/healthy things for myself more often. plus, my face feels like a baby's bottom, and you can beat that :-)

billi baracuda said...

that sounds very yummy and relaxing! i love it!