Friday, December 5, 2008

california

you know that song 'california' by joni mitchell?  that is SO my song these days.  yep, I'll admit it, i've got the homesick blues.  it's just that everything is such a struggle, and i'm tired...really really tired.  it's hard to walk down the street and not see a single familiar person, not hear a single familiar word or sound, not understand all of the strange details of how things are "done" here.  it really is "old and cold and settled in it's ways here" as the song says.

don't get me wrong; i do love it here.  belgium is, after all, a beautiful country and i do love europe.  it's just that the soil and trees and sky and mentality in california is what i know...and what i am.

so, i'm really looking forward to flying home in the next couple of weeks and just "being" there.  "being" with my family, and being with my dirt and trees will recharge my battery...and trust me, i need to recharge.  

7 comments:

yaffle said...

aw :(

well I used to live in scotland and when I went back to visit there after years of living down south it did feel like coming home, which was a nice feeling. keeping regular visits back to cali to recharge your batteries will help, that and also taking a sackful of californian dirt with you on the plane back.

PS love your profile icon, it makes me giggle!

callie said...

i think it looks like a mix between joseph's technicolor dreamcoat and wall-e...makes me laugh too!

wow...scotland, huh? i'm learning more and more about you;-)

Andrew said...

When to when are you in cali, and whereabouts? I'm sure I know but I can't pull the jumble of half notions of location out of my head. I definitely get the joseph's technicolor dreamcoat and wall-e vibe =]

(frumpyframpton)

Somebodyiusedtoknow said...

I know it's no constellation but i sent you a little bit of my world the other day. don't miss it, there's a hug in there too ♥

yaffle lived in scotland. cool.

Ruthie said...

I sang that song, loudly, in the park in front of the eiffel tower when I was overseas for a few months and feeling homesick. "Sitting in a park in Paris, France..." was just too inviting. I totally relate to your affinity with the song, though I knew I was returning-to-stay and you don't have that same comfort. I love ya... there's nothing like a little Joni to comfort whatever ails you, huh?

billilovesmargot said...

when i moved to newyork i was home sick for miami... when i went back to visit i took some sand from one of my favorite beaches back with me to newyork... it's not the same as standing on it barefoot but looking at it makes think of it and it's comforting.

try that!

billilovesmargot said...

also... go somewhere you used to spend a lot of time hanging out with friends... go there alone and just sit for a while... it's an amazing experience... you can almost see and hear all the laughs.