Friday, October 17, 2008

dropping in makes callie cranky


what's with "dropping in".  Seriously!

I'm one of those 'do unto others as you would have others do unto you' folks.  I've always been under the impression that other people don't like to be dropped in on.  I normally call or make plans days in advance before coming to somebody's home.  Actually, I don't even remember the last time I visited anyone in there home...

One of the reasons, ok the main reason, that I don't like people coming over unannounced is that I'm a messy person.  Truly.  I'm not tidy and I make a lot of clutter.  I'm not proud of it, but I'm not embarrassed by it either...that's just me.  I'm a mess.  I like to tell myself that all creative genius's are messy...however untrue that may be...

I was under the impression that since Belgium is a more formal country than the U.S., that folks would probably be more polite and formal about stopping by.  Not the case!  I've got my doorbell ringing 2o times a day, and I don't like it one bit!

Don't these people know that I'm a hermit?  I like to sit in my house being anti-social, playing the ukulele and watching BBC and Boomerang.  That's the way I like my life...I'm beginning to see that maybe the problem with "dropping in" is really MY problem and nobody else's.

where does that leave me?

3 comments:

yaffle said...

I am with you on this, I need at least 2 weeks notice before anyone can enter my hovel. The worst thing is when the man comes around to read the electric meter, the problem with this is that I like to keep various doodads, empty bottles, tin cans, stacks of newspapers and corn husks in front of the meter box. Inevitably the meter man will arrive when this stack of trash is at it's peak, and he then has to watch me demolish the trash pile so he can read his precious little meter.

I don't have rats.

Somebodyiusedtoknow said...

dude! i totally feel you! there's all kinds of stuff i do that i don't like being interrupted, even if it's just as simple as staring off into space. can't you call first so i can make an appropriate excuse why i'm busy and can't see you? sheesh. now that my painting studio is in my house, i have a rule that i dont answer the door during certain times. unless it's the fedex guy. its how i keep my sanity. of course my fritnds know what's up... its just the other 'randoms' that don't know better.

god this comment sounds bitchy! raaarrrr! :-)

xo

bwhahrhr said...

If people try to drop in on me, I usualy tell them its messy and I am at the moment cleaning up (usualy thats a lie), but that they can come in if they want to help.

This reduced people dropping in from once/twice a month (the "joy" of living very central) to zero in 8 months.

But like yaaaafle and the mrs. m. said: I am with you on this