Thursday, September 18, 2008

old stuff rules


Let me sing the joys of my new old rug.  I found this gorgeous thing at Opnieuw en Co. this afternoon.  It cost me a whopping 7 Euros.  Yes, that's right, 7 EUROS!!  I lugged the enormous thing home by foot, and then unrolled it only to be thrust into sudden ecstasy at the delicious smell of 'old'.  You know how old things smell?  Musty and loved as if bathed in the aroma of time.  

I love...I ADORE old things.  And the older I get, the more and more I love old things.  I am becoming an antique freak.  I am becoming...my Mother.  Oh boy do I remember her dragging me into antique shops as a kid and wanting to die of boredom.  There were even times I brought books with me for the excursions, because I knew we were going to be there a while.  Things began to change for me when I turned about 14 years old.  It was my birthday, and what I wanted most of all was an antique bed.  My parents ended up buying me a gorgeous 1800's bed with a matching dresser.  I slept tight in that thing until I moved out...I still miss it.

My love for old stuff, in the meantime has grown.  I have gone back and forth in decorating style.  Now i've come to the point where I don't need a style.  I like old stuff.  I mix it with some new stuff from IKEA.  I live in my 1980's rental row-house...but what I really look forward to is buying a REALLY old house, to put my really old stuff in.  

I feel lucky to be living in a place where I'm surrounded by lots of ancient things...houses, books...HISTORY!  History might not always be pretty, but in the case of my new rug, it smells great!

3 comments:

yaffle said...

I don't really own many antique or old stuff in general, in fact most of the stuff I do own I could quite easily bury in the woods and never think about again.

La Coccinelle said...

Cheap! Love the rug too.
One reason I'd love to go to Belgium is the architecture. It's different!

bwhahrhr said...

I love old carpets and how they smell (if there is no cat involved, that is), thats like home (my old appartment) to me. and yeah - old houses and the aura of living history that is everywhere here in europe is what I like so much and love about it. :)